Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mykonos, Greece

Minus the loud music from the campground we're staying at: Mykanos Beach, and the combination of mixed music from Paradise Beach just around the bend, this is a place you could definitely find yourself doing some soul searching. The water is blue, the skies crystal clear, the northern winds blowing and knowing the night has already started, I can only think about one thing (maybe that will be disclosed later ;)) This place is a bunch of dirt and rock that almost reminds me of the mountains in Egypt, but it has a relaxing vibe to it even over the 1000's of people I hear from the distance. The sun is just setting and I'm thinking once again how blessed I am to be able to do the things I'm doing. I forget about how hard it was to pitch our tents in the crazy wind, the repulsive Italian couple sucking face at the pool when they should have "gotten a room," and the little obnoxious girl in the pool splashing around. I once was that little girl. All of that is gone as I'm looking at this beautiful view of the Mediterranean with "Tonight's gonna be a good night" ringing through my ears. That song will be legend no matter how much people get sick of it.


 

Relating to my last blog:
Sometimes I think that I'm taking it all for granted, sometimes wishing I was home instead. How could I think that!? After all of the amazing things I'm getting to do, why the hell would I want to be home!? And then I realize.. it's not that I want to be home.. it's that I want the special people in my life from back home to be here with me. It's all so selfish isn't it? I get these amazing opportunities and I keep wanting more. When I was in Estonia, there were these rare snails, big, huge to the size of snails I'm used to, living all around the side of Rene's country house. He told me they used to be farmed for food and got to the point they were almost extinct. Now they are protected by the state and although I did think of how tasty they would be if we cooked them in some lemon butter sauce, I realized that most people's lives are like those snails, but not in a good way. They live their life "protected" by all of societal standards, living to the way they feel they must. Whether it's by one thing or another. And I look back and I have friends married with children and they aren't even 22. They haven't been protected, but they've been captured. They haven't been able to experience the world; half of them haven't even been to another continent. And here I am, globetrotting, seeing some of the most beautiful places in the world, and I still want more.

It doesn't always feel like that, however. Other times I couldn't imagine myself back home, hoping that somewhere along the way, I will be captured by the beauty, the culture, the surroundings of a particular place, give everything up, and stay there living my life with the ultimate happiness I seek in My Tree of Life. As farfetched as it seems, I long for that Under the Tuscan Sun type of life story. But we all know that movies are movies for a reason. Either way, my goal is to never let things get in my way from doing what I love. Traveling is definitely the trunk of my tree.

The sun is now behind the mountains, the air still warm, the music getting louder. This is my time, I'm not going to let it pass me by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are a Must! :)