Sunday, July 18, 2010

Zante!

There are some parts of Zaknythos (Zante) that remind me of the dunes covered with srubbery of OBX. I noticed them on my way from Laganas to the Central Bus Station all while thinking about how fast these last 6 days went by. I had expected Zante to be a little different, and it just so happened the place we were staying was right on the main strip of Laganas (one of the many areas of Zante) which was dedicated as Party Central. A little too much for me at some points when I wanted to relax and enjoy the sun or have a early night in and all I could hear were the 1000 Brits outside yelling and carrying on. It was fun when we were out enjoying the scene, but I definitely didn't feel like I was on a Greek Island, especially when the entire island was a tourist trap for the british and aussies. It was the first time in months that I felt like I could walk down the street and constantly understand everyone else's conversation. To be honest, I actually enjoy being in environments where I can't understand what other people are saying. The things you hear sometimes you just don’t care to. I didn't get in until late last Saturday night (July 10th). Sera-Jane and Rachel came to meet and we figured out how we were going to sneak me into their room the rest of the week. Mission Successful (btw). The week consisted of a lot of sun, the beach, too much heat, Insomnia (if it interests you- google it) and (I think) 3 nights of karaokee! Ultimately making me super happy ;) We took a pretty sweet boat tour, which we heard was pretty boring, but I thouroughly enjoyed it (after the first 3 hours of course- relating back to Insomnia), that took us to the Blue Caves, the Ship Wreck island (amazing!), the Kari Caves, and a few other swimming points where the water is so blue you can see straight to the bottom. Of course I would decide it's a good idea to go cliff jumping, thinking my ear was well enough for the- not as high as I normally jump off of- cliff I was jumping from and I wouldn't go too deep. WRONG. Immediately I feel the water sucking in as I emerge myself in the water. At this point, I don't really care anymore. I know that I won't be able to dive the rest of the summer, but it shouldn't stop me from having fun. I'm like a fish, water is part of my life. So after the initial pain goes away, I suck it up and keep swimming.. But now, I have somehow caught a cough- not too happy about that- that I pray doesn't turn into a full fledged cold. It looks like we are going be in Athens way longer than it takes to explore and are looking for some 2 day adventure options outside the city.
Recently I've been thinking about when I get home. Since it's exactly 6 weeks until I return, my mind is getting in "home" mode. At some points I get to where I miss home. It's been 10.5 months since I've been in the United States, 9 months in France, 2.5 months I've been traveling and I still have another 1.5 to go. An entire year will have passed by the time I step foot back in America. I guess at certain points you start to miss things being tangible, but then again, as the days get closer to my return, the more nervous I am to go back and I want to continue my travels. I know when I get back, real life sets back in. The last year I've been in a dream and I don't want to wake up. Things will have changed, and I will be going back to what I remember it to be before I left. I think that's where reverse culture shock comes in. I didn't have any culture shock when I got to France, maybe because I was so open to something new and exciting and having this new culture transform me. But returning to the place I've lived my entire life, everything I've known it to be, and especially after having explored parts of the world, I think it will be more difficult returning than it was leaving. I guess I'll have to take it with stride and remember that things won't be the same, but hopefully they will have changed for the better!
This is me. The girl that travels the world to learn a little more about everything; the girl that travels the world to learn a little more about herself.
I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be. I've finally found out who I am. No more hiding who I want to be. I will keep searching to find more of myself and more of the world. That's all I need.<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are a Must! :)