Sunday, April 6, 2014

Living Abroad with a Dog

Sure, the process of bringing my precious pooch to France was exhausting. I had to make sure he was up-to-date on all of his shots, he was micro-chipped, certified, and not to mention all the dreadful paperwork to complete the process. It took numerous trips to the vet and the final trip to Washington DC to get his USDA certification to permit him to travel out of the country.

Sure, I had to buy a new cage for him to travel in, pay the airline company (a lot of money) to allow him to travel with me and I had to think about his well being on top of it all.

The first time I lived abroad, I was staying in the dorms, which did not allow animals. At the same time, I wanted to experience life as an exchange student, travel and adventure as I pleased. My parents offered to watch Oeli during the year I was abroad. I can't explain how many times I thought about him, wanted his company and missed being able to look into his sweet, sweet eyes. I knew that if I were to ever to go back abroad after that year, I would take him with me. The experience that I had as an exchange student was one of the most, if not the most amazing year of my life to date, and I wouldn't change anything I experienced. But I can recall certain points during the year that having my loving companion would have been just the right thing to get over the home sickness or cure my case of the "Debbie Downer."
After finding out that I would be returning to France this year, there was no doubt in my mind that Oeli would be coming with me. It had been 4 years since the first time I had lived in France; and I knew my experience here this time would be completely different and I was okay with living a more settled life this go-round. 

Sure, now I have to think more about him instead of myself. I can't just leave for a weekend without making multiple arrangements to ensure he's taken care of while I'm gone. I come home during to day to walk him and come home early at night. I've had to deal with annoying neighbours, whimpering because he needs (or wants) to go outside, countless bags of dog food, treats, play toys (that he tears up immediately) and "accidents" in my room.

But there is nothing better than the unconditional love a dog gives. He is selfless, obedient and reassuring. He's always there for me when I need him most and he never lacks in cuddles. He has the cutest ears that flop in the wind and his markings make him unique. He always makes me smile as he cocks his head one way and then another when you speak to him. He knows when he's been bad and he tucks his head and shrinks down, but I can't stay mad for long because he deserves nothing but love. He knows when I'm sad and is always there to comfort me; and he looks at me with those sweet, sweet eyes that say, "Mom, don't worry. Everything is going to be okay."
And it will be, because he is there to make everything better.

I would never give him up for a million dollars, because it is he who helps build my happiness on a daily basis. He isn't just a dog: he's my best friend and companion.
Hi, I'm Oeli.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are a Must! :)