Saturday, June 26, 2010

Croatia- Split and Hvar

Apart from stepping on a sea urchin and getting some stings from jelly’s, today has been quite relaxing. I’m now in Hvar, a small island off Croatia, with only about 4000 inhabitants. It’s been great the last two days I’ve been here, and the night life is pretty epic. I’m finally traveling solo for the first time since I left Grenoble, and surprisingly it’s not that hard meeting new people. As long as I’m willing to randomly go up to a group or head into a bar for a drink by myself, I’ve seemed to be able to find great company the entire time. I started off in Split, Croatia as my last minute decision from Prague, and surprisingly found a fellow couchsurfer who was willing to host me last minute. And as I walked around the main area of Split during the day waiting for him to get off work, exploring the Palace, the old underground city ruins and meeting two cool Irish girls, if it weren’t for Davor, I wouldn’t have seen much more of the area. After the long Prague weekend, I was dead and didn’t care much for trying to figure out the bus system or walk further than into town, but thankfully he drove me around, took me to the most beautiful places in Split, and we even took a 50km ride out to a small port town for his work and then to do some exploring. I got the 8 hours of sleep that I desperately needed as I don’t think my body ever fully got that much since the food poisoning. And the following day, I was ready to venture around with him. Davor invited some of his friends over that night and it was great to be around a group of musicians again; we sang, danced and had a good time conversing. I had heard great things about Hvar, so I decided I might as well check it out. These two Aussie guys I had met when I first arrived to Split and the Irish girls mentioned they were heading over, so I figured it might be worth checking out, and it sure has paid off. I’ve had a great time here. My first night consisted of me eating a nice solo dinner, being served 2 “traditional Hvar drinks” already after my glass of wine, free of charge, and then heading to a sports bar to check out the Cup. I figured there would be as good a place as any to meet someone to hang out with, and being in Europe during the World Cup helps a lot too. Everyone is sooo into “football.” Turns out I meet these Aussie girls (there are so many of them here) who were planning to go out to some bar after the game finished, so I asked if I could tag along. This was crazy night #1. I somehow got tangled in this circle of guys who are circumnavigating the world and had just docked in, ended up hanging out with them the rest of the night because they were freakin’ awesome. I don’t remember any of their names and I’ll probably never see any of them again, but they made my first night here an adventure- I now go by “Virginia.” Coincidentally I just so happened to run into the two Aussie guys (from Split) the next day on the beach I went to, so yesterday I spent hanging out with them, enjoying the beach and going out = crazy night #2 (I’ve only been here two days- just for a reminder lol) Somehow, like always, I ended up with a group of 9 guys partying the night away, bar hopping and just like the night before, ended up in the only dance club of the island with only 2 of the guys that I had started the night with, and 4 British girls. You have to long how people get lost during the night. BUUUUT.. I did get to speak a lot of french- which was amazing. We met a group of students who came over after graduating to spend a week. It felt so weird speaking a different language again, it had been about a month.

The view here is amazing from where I’m staying. I can see the other mountain islands in the background, hanging over the sea, purple flowers everywhere, green ivy on every building, birds chirping. It’s so peaceful. I realized today one of the reasons I love Europe. Today was my first day tanning topless. I was reluctant at first, but when the other 5 girls around me stripped down, I figured, heck with it, we’re all the same anyway. Quite a refreshing experience. Tonight is my last night here (maybe) , and I need to figure out where I’m heading after….

I am missing home a little, but that seems to happen more now that I’m traveling alone. I’m sure it will end soon.

I heard something yesterday… Happy is what happens when your dreams come true.

Last thought of the day… should I make it crazy night #3?

2 comments:

  1. wooooooow, Crazy !!!
    I wish you a very nice trip, and i hope, i can see you soon =)
    Love

    Amandine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really envy you!!
    Davor-Split

    ReplyDelete

Comments are a Must! :)