Saturday, October 31, 2009

Eastern Europe Adventure Part 2-Istanbul!

Here I am at 12am on a Saturday night- Halloween, which happens to fall on a Saturday this year, sitting here, having just come from the same shisha bar we've been to each night since we've been here in Istanbul. I was just welcomed back to the hostel with a nice strong shot to celebrate my last night in Turkey. I keep thinking, if only I wasn't so relaxed to the point of fatigue from going to the Turkish baths today and we didn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to catch our shuttle to the airport, I would still be out with the others enjoying the night. I keep thinking what my Halloween would be like back at VCU (would it be another "last Halloween," I would hope not- but rather something more enjoyable than writing this blog?). There's a little kitten staring at me, eyes slowly closing, and I can feel my eyes doing the same recalling the wonderful time I've had on this trip.
The boys are still enjoying themselves and the huge "fishbowl" we got tonight, and I'm still trying to figure out how I spent so much money. Btw.. I was just pourred another shot----whewwww!

We got here on Thursday morning around 9am, and immediately my predictions came true. I fell in love with this place. Thankfully the first day was clear, sunny, and all around great weather, because yesterday and today were just pissy. Thursday we took care of most of the sightseeing. Visted the Hagia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, etc. before finding the shisha bar we've grown so accustomed to. I'm not sure how, but we didn't manage to get any henna the whole time we were here- something I was really looking forward to. We woke up yesterday to rain and wished that it would stop by the time we were finished the free breakfast the Noble Hostel we're staying at offers. We're so fortunate we found this place. The nicest people who make it a point to learn your name and welcome you with open arms. Instead of going to the Asian side of Istanbul yesterday, we decided we would hit up the Grand Bazaar! I ended up getting separated from the boys, but it worked out to my advantage. I swear I was called beautiful over 100x's, offered more than 10 famous turkish apple tea's (4 of which I took!) and was asked out just as many times as the tea's I was offered. The unfortunate side of this story is that I spent waaayyyyyy too much money. Maybe it was worth it!? lol. People here though, are very genuine. I've found that this to be the most helpful, considerate, and nicest place I've been, whether I'm by myself or with others.
It was nice walking around alone though, being able to go at my own pace and go and do whatever I want. I realized that I would have LOVED to backpack Europe this summer by myself, but things happen for a reason. Hopefully soon!
I finally found a kebob how I wanted (the ones like they have in France- surprisingly not as good) and tried the corn on the cob that you get from the little stands and mosied around for a bit before heading back to find the boys and go to the shisha bar for a relaxing night. We met some really cool Spanish girls and some Aussi's, Danish, Swedish and Belgium's on this trip! It will be great to keep in contact with all of them who turned out to be completely awesome!
Since we changed our plans, today was the day for Asia. To our mistake, today was worse than yesterday. The wind was chilled, pounding us with rain and no matter which way we held our umbrella, we still got wet. After sucking it up, we finally decided to take the cold, wet boat ride over. It was so gross by the time we got over there, we got something small to eat, had a cup of tea and decided to head back to Europe! The entire 20 mintutes I was in Asia consisted of down pour rain, wet pants and food. Well.. at least I went to Asia!
I have to say that by far the best experience of my day was the Turkish baths. I spent a good 3 hours there, getting bathed, massaged, relaxing in the sauna and getting a pedicure. Let me clarify- when I say bathed, I literally mean bathed. I was exfoliated, scrubbed and massaged in an ancient traditional bathing room by a woman. There were about 20 other women in the saunaed room all getting washed and massaged, and it was the first time since... .. that I've felt completely comfortable with myself walking around natural with someone else around. I have to say that it was a complete soothing and relaxing experience that I wish I could do everyday.

So now, I am here. Dreading going back to the expose I left to do in Grenoble (due Monday)....
At least this vacation as been quite a thrill.
Prage- check
Budapest- check
Bucharest- check
Sofia- check
Istanbul- check! I will return to you!

So much traveling in so little time has left me a tired little girl.
Sleep and thanking God for the opportunity await me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are a Must! :)