Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Science Politique - Grenoble

Just a little reflection of studying political science in Grenoble...
Maybe it was the fact that I wasn't french, I came in half way through the year, or that I didn't speak much french while in class in order to join in the conversation (when you're trying to just keep up with what's going on, it's a little more difficult to say what you're thinking), but I never once felt like I belonged there. In regards to the fact that it's extremely difficult to get into (in France), everyone seems like they have a stigma about them that makes them just a little above the rest, which may be the case, but I found it was flaunted. And to be honest, I don't think they would survive if they came to an American University to try and study political science. As I mentioned to Diana, who was also studying there, if this semester would have been in English, I think it would have been a fairly easy one. Apart from the +10 exposes I wrote this semester (which caused a lot of difficulties because they were all in french - and not all of them were for poli sci) the classes seemed fairly simple and I wouldn't have stressed too much, but did because of the language barrier and that there is only one exam at the end that determines everything (this is the case for all studies in France). Overall my experience at Science Po Grenoble wasn't as interesting as hoped and for others (foreign students) who are interested in taking classes there, I would suggest preparing for the fact that it won't be like anything from your home university.
Or maybe this was just my case and I'm the outlier? I never felt welcomed at events that were going on inside the building, and never even thought of going to night events for the fear that I would be looked down on. I would rather stick to the awesome friends I have outside of science po.
The professors, however, were reasonable with the fact I was "ERASMUS" and helped me out as much as possible, which was reassuring. And on a side note- there were a few students who showed some sympathy to my "foreigness" and alienation in the Science Po Grenoble community. Maybe it was because they were stuck with me doing projects and it was the only way to make sure we did a good job? Otherwise, I don't think I would want to go back for another year there. I would prefer the history department, where I took a very interesting class and students were a lot more friendly and I might even stretch to say that my french literature classes were better than science po, but again, that's a stretch.
I can't wait to get back to structure, blackboard, and having professors let you know what the crap is going on, books to read for additional understanding, and as much as I can't believe I'm saying it, more than one "Final Exam." At least that way I know how I'm doing throughout the class, what I need to work on, and I don't feel like such a slack the whole semester. I also learn so much more back home (but that again, could be because of the language).

Hey! At least my french is better! ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Oh sweet lord I couldn't agree with you more. I haven't learned much, and although I think they're overall much nicer here in Nantes than chez toi, they seem just as 'fermés'. This whole homesick thing is a strange sensation for me.
    I'm excited for our state-side re-unification! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Science-po grenoble... So full of themselves..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree, it's a beautiful place, but I did feel alienated from the French people, I really do wonder if it is the language. What I am sure, that wouldn't happen in Mexico neither it happened in China (which you would expect to feel way more alienated). Salutations Kristi, sad we didn't meet before (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one thing we have to realize is that where we come from, we're very open, welcoming people. Culture could have a lot to do with it, mainly I think it's the lack of french acceptance that we can't speak at their level.
    What can we do?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are a Must! :)