Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The end of the weekend and more

Still no internet access. I'm currently sitting in a building somewhere connecting to random WiFi so I can get on here.
It really does suck. I get internet on Thursday though.
So to tell about the rest of last weekend... Saturday night didn't turn out to what we were expecting it to. When a large group of friends and I went out well after 11pm, we found out that hard way that things close pretty early around here (with the exception of the disco tech the other night that didn't close until 4am) all of downtown, the bars, the restaurants all shut down starting at 12am. Some last until 1, and just a few other until 2am... so as we walked around trying to find a nice, cheap little bar to relax and enjoy conversation, we saw most places kicking people out, by this time is was past 12am. Walking around trying to find somewhere to go was pretty much the extent of our night. Because none of us know the city very well, it was hard to pin-point a place to go... so instead of walking back like the night before, we hopped on one of the last trams back to campus and just hung out there.. it turned into a pretty fun and interesting night with A LOT of laughter.
Sunday, I found out, is literally the day of rest. Nothing is open! I'm not used to that anymore...
So I got together with some of the group and while we were sitting on the grass debating what we should do since no where was open, I saw a nice little volleyball game going on in the distance. So I said my goodbyes and headed over there, hoping someone would feel bad for me sitting alone and ask me to join. Well... it worked. I heard some people talking english, so I asked them what "all of this" was about. Come to find out, the 100+ people out there playing games "football," rugby, volleyball, were all a part of the newly joined engineering school and were celebrating their collaboration of all the schools together. So one thing led to another and I ended up playing 3 solid games of volleyball with some students. It was quite interesting, because during the 3rd game we decided to switch up the teams and I somehow ended up on the team with all french people! We had a good game with a failed ending, but it was still quite fun even though I couldn't always understand what they were saying while in between turns (I got the gist, however).
We all parted our own ways and while I was heading back to my residence, some of the friends I had met while playing invited me to head to the Bastille with them that evening. I didn't have any plans so of course I tagged along, and I'm so glad I did. The view from the top of the mountain was amazing! And I really enjoyed riding the little bubble up to the top. We explored the old ruins from when Grenoble was liberated and took a 2.something kilometer hike up to the top. (I still haven't figured out this metric system yet!) While up there, met these 2 french guys who thankfully gave us a ride back down the mountain to save us from the pouring rain and fall of night! We all decided to grab some grub before heading back and had wonderful french conversation (I, of course, just sat and listened) while we ate. I hung out with the two guys in the dorm before I headed off to bed, since I had to wake up at 7:45 the next morning.
Which leads me to yesterday. We had our first day of orientation, all in french. But I do feel like it's growing on me. I still can't speak it very well.. but the more I hear it, the more I understand it. Which is good because classes start next Monday and that's going to be the true test! Btw.. I finally opened a bank account! On my own, by myself, with no help. Wheww... is all I have to say to that. Thankfully the banker was patient enough to deal with my lack of french and it turned out to be quite hysterical. In stead of getting frustrated when I kept telling her my address at my residence when the whole time she was just asking for my E-mail address, she busted out in laughter, joking with me as a friend would. The rest of the day just turned into nap time before I hung out with Christian at McDonald's to get on the internet for a quick bit.
Today as just been more orientation meetings and such.
It's been dreadfully dreary. Rainy and chilly. I'm wearing mt Suffolk sweatshirt today and I feel at home (thanks Rach!).
I'll be heading out tonight with some friends for an international social at a local pub downtown tonight! Should be awesome :)
More to come and pictures to upload when I get my internet on Thursday!!! (that's also the day I get to sign up for sports!- snowboarding, volleyball and gymnastics, here I come!)

Hope all is well back home.

<3
Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are a Must! :)